Hokkaido washi crafts experience | ORITO’s studio tour
- This is a rare private tour to meet Japanese artists based in Sapporo.
- You can create your favorite artwork with washi made in Hokkaido.
- You will have the opportunity to interact with the artists, with the help of an English interpreter.
- This tour includes transportation to and from your hotel, so you don’t have to worry about anything. Just sit back and enjoy the day!
- Washi is a traditional Japanese handmade paper. It is listed by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Enjoy a very special private tour to meet an artist living in Sapporo who makes lampshades and other works with Washi. The studio and gallery, housed in a space inherited from her grandparents, add a touch of historical charm. Enjoy a craft experience in her studio where her works are framed by beautiful shades of light. During the craft experience, you will choose one of your favorite lampshade or earring designs to fold from Hokkaido washi. You can take your creation home. Interacting with the artist and an English interpreter, you will be able to ask questions and learn more about washi. After the experience, you will return to the center of Sapporo by private taxi.
12:55 Meet at a hotel in central Sapporo or at the North Exit of Sapporo Station.
13:00 Depart by car and head to the craft studio.
14:00 While you interact with the artists, you can choose one of your favorite washi items, such as a lampshade or earrings, to make with Hokkaido’s washi paper.
17:00 Return to cental Sapporo by car.
18:00 Drop off at the original meeting point and end the tour.